Skill Gain In Guild Wars:

Welcome to yet another facet of our gaming clan! General how-to's, help, meeting times, new players can link up here with Ru Guild members. Those interested in joining the Ru Guild, please inquire within and have some ale with us traveller!

Postby {Ru}EINHANDER on Thu May 05, 2005 3:23 pm

The four ways to improve your skill level in Guild Wars are as follows:

1. Leveling

2. Increasing your attributes

3. Acquire new skills

4. Acquire new equipment

Let's look at each of these in a little more detail.

1. Leveling.

This is the basic method of skill gain found in all role-playing games on the market today. From dice and paper, to live action, to the console/PC. It's also the easiest because you do it by simply playing the game. Whenever you go exploring and encounter a monster combat will ensue. It is your goal to be victorious. Once you slay the monster you will gain experience. When you have enough experience points you will move up to the next level. Hence the term "leveling". At this point there are only 20 levels available. That may grow as the game grows and expands. Each level you gain will give you 20 life points, a skill point, and an undetermined number of attribute points. The number of attribute points is still being worked on by the developers. Once this is finalised this page will be updated. Once you reach level 20 you cannot get a new level, but you still gain skill points. This leads us to believe that the cap will be raised above 20 in the future.

2. Increasing Your Attributes. When you gain a level you will be given 5 attribute points. Attributes enhance your skills. The higher a particular attribute is, the stronger the skill linked to it will be. If you have not begun playing Guild Wars yet, let me give you an example of an attribute and a skill from the real world that you may be able to relate to. Beauty would be an attribute. Catching A Man would be a skill. The stronger your Beauty attribute is, the stronger your Catching A Man skill would be. Unless you are a man. In that case, think of the lady you did something really stupid to impress. Her Beauty attribute was high enough to make her Catching A Man skill strong enough to catch you.
So how do we increase them? We fist you have to gain them by Leveling. See above. On your "Hero Tab" of your character information is where you will find your attributes. To gain in a particular attribute you simply click the upwards-pointing arrow next to that attribute. You can also "Refund" an attribute by clicking the down pointing arrow. This may help you better spend and spread out your attribute points. Once we know more on how many attribute points are gained per level we will expand on this topic.

3. Acquire New Skills.

You begin with eight skills. Five from your primary profession and three from your secondary profession. There are 4 methods for acquiring new skills.

A. Learn skills from a trainer in game.
These trainers are not other players, but are actually NPCs. In Ascalon City you can find Captain Arne. In Lion's Arch you can find Firstwatch Sergio. In Ascalon Settlement you can find Captain Greywind. In Denravi you can find Master Scout Kiera. Each of these NPCs can train you in various skills. Note that do not all train the same skills. To learn from these NPCs you need the proper amount of unspent skill points (see Leveling) and the right amount of gold to pay the NPC for training you. The gold cost is based on how many skill points you have already spent plus one piece of gold. For example: You have spent 10 skill points so far in your character's development. The gold cost will be 21 to learn from the NPC. 20 skill points plus one = 20 pieces of gold. Talk to the NPC to find out what skills they can train.

B. Use a Signet of Capture.
These items can be purchased from the skill trainers we discussed above. You can place one Signet of Capture on your skill bar at a time because it is considered elite. Place one on your skill bar and head out for adventure. Once you encounter a boss level mob from either of your professions that is using a skill you wish to acquire click your Signet of Capture to activate it while you have the boss mob targeted. You will see what appears to be a loading bar appear with the name of the last skill used by the boss mob and you will begin capturing it. You and the boss must stay alive until the capture is complete. Once completed the Signet is permanently replaced by that skill. If you realise you have started capturing the wrong skill you need to perform some other action as quickly as possible. The capture process does not take as long as you might imagine. Once you capture a skill it's yours. You cannot simply forget it.

C. Skill Charm Necklace.
Skill Charm Necklaces provide you a way of temporarily learning a skill. These are quite useful for test driving a skill before you make it a permanent part of your character or for balancing out your guild's skills for a mission. The skill charms can be purchased from: the Skill Charm Vendor, the Exotic Skill Charm Vendor, or by having a player make you one from a skill they already have. If you are learning a skill from your primary or secondary professions then you need a Basic Charm Necklace. If the skill is from outside your professions you will need a Superior Charm Necklace. Keep this in mind as you shop for them. Double click the necklace and then click on the charm to learn that skill. Once you learn the skill this way you only have 24 real world hours to use it. After that the skill will drop off of your skill list. Until you learn the skill or get another Skill Charm for that skill you cannot use it again. The Exotic Skill Charm Vendor is unique in that you don't know what skill you will get from her. You literally gamble and see what you get. You may acquire the most common skill in the game or you may acquire the rarest skill in the game.

D. Skill Charm Ring.
The Skill Ring works the same way as the Skill Necklace above. Double click the ring and then click on the charm to learn it. There are a couple of important differences though. By using the ring you learn the skill PERMENATLY. The skill rings come in the form of loot from boss mobs. While the necklaces come in the Basic and Superior varieties the rings are limited by professions. Such as Ranger, Warrior, Necromancer, etc.. The Skill Ring and Skill Charm must match to be used together and must match one of your professions. Keep in mind that these rings are rare. If there is an easier way to learn a skill take that route instead of wasting your Skill Ring on it.

4. Acquire New Equipment.

You can improve upon your equipment by finding equipment and/or creating better equipment. You won't find armour as loot on the various monsters in game. Instead it comes from the Crafter NPC. The Crafter NPC is where you will also "Upgrade" your items. By taking the various items you find as loot and the proper amount of gold to pay for the services to the crafter you can begin enhancing your items. An example: You have a sword. It's a nice sword, but it could be better. You find a new sword blade as loot that increases the amount of Energy Damage dealt by the sword it is attached to. Head off to the nearest Crafter NPC with your sword, the new blade, and some gold so that you can add that blade to your sword. Crafting armour or other items works the same way. Take the materials and gold to the Crafter NPC. Speak with the NPC and chose the Craft option. Place the material in the proper slots. Click Craft. The material is turned into the item you wanted.
You can also find Focus Items (similar to shields but used by those of the magical persuasion), Shields, and various Weapons as loot on the monsters in the game. These items may have modifiers attached to them. The full range of modifiers is unknown at this point. Modifiers can enhance damage, enhance protection, steal life, or any number of things. Once more is known we will expand upon it.

Now that you know what to do to improve your skills get out there and do it.

The Traveler
Let them hate.. so long as they FEAR!
{Ru}EINHANDER
Recon Unit Dictator
Recon Unit Dictator

Postby NG-Search [Bot] on Sat May 07, 2005 8:34 am

Can you use say... a fire spell to increase your fire casting skill / Attributes?

And can spells Fizzle (you fail to cast it due to lack of skill)?
NG-Search [Bot]
Forum First Sergeant
Forum First Sergeant

Postby {Ru}EINHANDER on Sat May 07, 2005 2:49 pm

I think I understand your first question.. as in can I use a spell to lower the casting cost/increase damage/etc. of some type of spell. The answer is yes.. and certain combos work out better than others. Probably it's more like this.. you can cast elemental weakness on the enemy then cast your fire/ice/water/lightening attack which will do more damage. You can also use spells from other classes (if you have them) that can reduce the casting time or recharge time of your attack spells. Many combos are possible and some work better than others. Second question: Yes. Some spells will fail 50% or more if you don't have 7 attribute points in that spells' common group. Control animal might fail on higher level creatures 50% or more of the time unless you have at least 7 pts in the "Nature Lore" subclass of the Ranger. **That is not accurate but you get the point.

From what I'm learning in PvP (on a good team) is that the fastest (best organized) teams seem to win. When I'm on a team that singles out a character for elimination take 'em down. Generally some people go for the monk because they might have Rez. My PvP character is using a Rez signet so I'm generally not the first one targeted. However, I don't understand why but sometimes some really tough opponents zero in on me in the back. I know I'm weaker then they are but perhaps not as weak as they think. If I could poison and life syphon.. they'd be in trouble.

So far the best match we've had was a Paladin on our team ended up rezzing the whole team for a victory. That match lasted almost 7 minutes. Most battles are over in 4 minutes or less. As I've played for the last day.. I've noticed some bad signs when you spawn in a new team.

1.) If they start doing stupid emotes like: dancing, jumping, waving etc. They are generally not team players and are the first to get killed. I was even on a team with a monk that could rez but he didn't rez a single player. Tried to do it all on his own. The PvP matches are totally a team effort. You can have maybe one weak link.. but if the other team is 1/2 trying.. 2 weak team players will do you in for sure.

2.) I think the longest winning streak we've had was 6.. maybe 7. If the other team is waiting (or continously trying to flank your team) on the map for you.. it's probably a bad sign. Those are generally more experienced teams or team members. Your team needs to stick together but *ALWAYS* watch out for the Elementalist's Fire Storm spell and other area effect spells. The team that stopped us had a ranger that could do poison arrows.. and he stood on the top of a bridge to shoot farther and picked off the magic users behind the line. Of course he singled me out twice. I was rezzed once but as soon as I got up he hit me again with poison and that was it.

3.) If they have a clan extension in their name at the end.. and all of your team is basically in a clan. Your chances of winning are pretty good or at least putting up a fight. Not many clanners go at it on their own. Some even try to take charge of the group right before we engage. I always tell the team before we start,"I can rez one of you one time per game." Someone usually says,"Ok.. save that for the Monk." I don't always agree with that because if the monk is busy.. and we're fighting with 3 players.. that's not good. Usually I rez the first to fall, especially if they are close by me.
{Ru}EINHANDER
Recon Unit Dictator
Recon Unit Dictator

Postby NG-Search [Bot] on Sat May 07, 2005 3:53 pm

Thats a long post to answer one question...
NG-Search [Bot]
Forum First Sergeant
Forum First Sergeant

Postby NG-Search [Bot] on Sat May 07, 2005 3:58 pm

Ein, i think you miss understood the question too. Say i cast Flare again and again with my skill of Fire magic at 5, can i get to 6 by casting fire spells again and again?

Also, the second question, if you don't have enough skill in fire spells, is there a chance you won't beable to cast the spell on the first try or do you have a 100% chance of casting it anytime anywhere?

Do i need a certain magic skill to cast a certain spell. (i.e. must have X in fire magic skill to cast ABC)?

Same question as the one on top except level instead of Magic skill.
Last edited by NG-Search [Bot] on Sat May 07, 2005 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NG-Search [Bot]
Forum First Sergeant
Forum First Sergeant

Postby AdsBot [Google] on Sat May 07, 2005 3:58 pm

{Ru}Kid wrote:Thats a long post to answer one question...

Ein had never answered short. In the time it took him to think that up and write it. He could of played a half hour with me.lol.
AdsBot [Google]
Forum Colonel
Forum Colonel

Postby NG-Search [Bot] on Sat May 07, 2005 4:01 pm

{Ru}Lord_Slayer wrote:
{Ru}Kid wrote:Thats a long post to answer one question...

Ein had never answered short. In the time it took him to think that up and write it. He could of played a half hour with me.lol.

I thank you for that Ein.
NG-Search [Bot]
Forum First Sergeant
Forum First Sergeant

Postby {Ru}EINHANDER on Mon May 09, 2005 6:49 am

:) Just trying to help you out Kid.
{Ru}EINHANDER
Recon Unit Dictator
Recon Unit Dictator

Postby NG-Search [Bot] on Tue May 10, 2005 9:02 am

{Ru}Kid wrote:Ein, i think you miss understood the question too. Say i cast Flare again and again with my skill of Fire magic at 5, can i get to 6 by casting fire spells again and again?

Also, the second question, if you don't have enough skill in fire spells, is there a chance you won't beable to cast the spell on the first try or do you have a 100% chance of casting it anytime anywhere?

Do i need a certain magic skill to cast a certain spell. (i.e. must have X in fire magic skill to cast ABC)?

Same question as the one on top except level instead of Magic skill.

This is a remodled question of the one you attempted to answer Ein, Yes/no answers will do fine. If you want, you can write a little on why 8)
NG-Search [Bot]
Forum First Sergeant
Forum First Sergeant

Postby {Ru}EINHANDER on Tue May 10, 2005 11:15 am

on the second question:

I remember reading that if you don't have a certain number of say Fire Skill at 6.. then your success rate will be less than 50% on spell Rain of Fire.. many more examples will be there to greet you when you start playing. It'll be spelled out in the game. I think if you follow Beer's original link in the very first post called GUILD WARS by Beer.. you'll see the link.. and they describe the spells as in the game (mostly). That'll answer your question.

You can cast any spell as long as you have the mana points to cast. Whether or not it's successful or does much damage depends on how many skill points you've spent in that class. This is where the game differs from Diablo II. Either it worked or it didn't (and how well it worked) due to skill point assignment. In GW.. it could fail and is only 100% I guess when you put tons of skill points into certain skills.
{Ru}EINHANDER
Recon Unit Dictator
Recon Unit Dictator

Postby NG-Search [Bot] on Tue May 10, 2005 4:20 pm

Do you need to be X level to cast Y spell?
NG-Search [Bot]
Forum First Sergeant
Forum First Sergeant

Return to Dragon's Scale Pub