What is the best Video Card

Discuss your new PC/MAC hardware/sofware. Ask questions about what is hot and what is not. Suggestions and new product announcements that deal with most any new/old PC/MAC hardware or software.

What is the best Video Card

Postby Google Feedfetcher on Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:44 pm

I am now thinking of purchasing myself a new video card, and i want the best! anyone know of a couple that are good and that you guys recommend?
Google Feedfetcher
Forum Member - 2nd Class
Forum Member - 2nd Class

Postby Google [Bot] on Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:22 am

well solid in my opinion ATI X800 Platinum is nice piece HW. but what do I know about hardware look at my avatar :bounce: and signature

i read that ATI is comming out with 850 so prolly 800 price will drop down. for the new system i building i will use x700
Google [Bot]
Forum Sergeant First Class

Postby {Ru}EINHANDER on Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:41 am

Well.. Ranger will be here soon to post the types of games that run best on ATi or nVidia. I buy nVidia.. generally Gainward. What is the best.. I find that more so opinion these days. Both of the aforementioned cards are virtually neck and neck.. in the *best* category.. now value.. or more bang for your buck so to speak on the previous generations.. that's where the arguements will ensue.
Let them hate.. so long as they FEAR!
{Ru}EINHANDER
Recon Unit Dictator
Recon Unit Dictator

Postby AdsBot [Google] on Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:45 am

{Ru}guinness wrote:well solid in my opinion ATI X800 Platinum is nice piece HW. but what do I know about hardware look at my avatar :bounce: and signature

i read that ATI is comming out with 850 so prolly 800 price will drop down. for the new system i building i will use x700

Correct me if Im wrong Guinn, But arent the ATI x800 and 850 only compatiable with a PCI slot. I think those are only for newer computers and are not made for AGP...But im prolly wrong... :?:
AdsBot [Google]
Forum Colonel
Forum Colonel

Postby Google [Bot] on Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:18 pm

u r 100% right. these cards are using PCI express slots. but i can imagine if someone is getting new PC he will get also MB with few PCI express slots. :idea:
Google [Bot]

Postby Google Feedfetcher on Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:45 pm

So the ATI X800 Platinum card is supposubly the best hmm, what about the GeForce? does that compare to the ati? Does laptops have Pci slots?
Google Feedfetcher
Forum Member - 2nd Class
Forum Member - 2nd Class

Postby Guest on Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:55 pm

Well now, the system is the base for the graphics card if your system is under par the biggest and best graphics card will still look crappy.

I myself and an ATI fan ( 9800xt here )

Postby AdsBot [Google] on Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:03 pm

{Ru}guinness wrote:u r 100% right. these cards are using PCI express slots. but i can imagine if someone is getting new PC he will get also MB with few PCI express slots. :idea:

Are you getting a new computer Solid or are you just upgrading the video card on a older computer? Thats the big factor on what card will be best for you.
AdsBot [Google]
Forum Colonel
Forum Colonel

Postby Google [Bot] on Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:14 pm

{Ru}Solid_Snake wrote:So the ATI X800 Platinum card is supposubly the best hmm, what about the GeForce? does that compare to the ati? Does laptops have Pci slots?

laptops running PCI express don't think so, yet
Google [Bot]

Postby {Ru}EINHANDER on Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:58 pm

I don't know of any laptops with PCIe yet. If you see a laptop without a built-in video card let me know about it. I don't mean a laptop the size of a desktop either. Unless someone comes up with a laptop that has a modular video card slot like a CD/DVD drive/floppy/barrery pack.. you'll not find one that's upgradeable.

-EIN
{Ru}EINHANDER
Recon Unit Dictator
Recon Unit Dictator

Postby FAST WebCrawler [Crawler] on Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:41 pm

Best right now is an sli 6800 setup... but since we arent all milionaires... how about a 6800 ultra or an x800 pro...

Im an ati fan but nvidia is back in the game finally.

DirectX = ATi
OpenGL = Nvidia

I dont think theres too much of a gap between the 2 of them. I also dont think the consumer gets to know which one is actually better. Between game companies writing proprietary code for each card and working with card makers to tweak drivers... we really cant be sure which is the better piece of hardware.
FAST WebCrawler [Crawler]
Forum Sergeant
Forum Sergeant

Postby Google Feedfetcher on Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:45 pm

{Ru}Lord_Slayer wrote:
{Ru}guinness wrote:u r 100% right. these cards are using PCI express slots. but i can imagine if someone is getting new PC he will get also MB with few PCI express slots. :idea:

Are you getting a new computer Solid or are you just upgrading the video card on a older computer? Thats the big factor on what card will be best for you.

Welll, I'm just upgrading from a Pentium 3, I had a GeForce 2 on it... lol. Decided i need a new touch up.
Google Feedfetcher
Forum Member - 2nd Class
Forum Member - 2nd Class

Postby Google Feedfetcher on Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:48 pm

Does Direct X (Ati) work on Wolfenstein? Since wolfenstein when you load it, it says checking "OpenGl".would ati work also?
Google Feedfetcher
Forum Member - 2nd Class
Forum Member - 2nd Class

Postby FAST WebCrawler [Crawler] on Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:01 pm

They both work with the other, in most cases very well... nvidia works with directx and ati works with opengl... just they are optimized for the other.
FAST WebCrawler [Crawler]
Forum Sergeant
Forum Sergeant

Postby {Ru}EINHANDER on Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:14 pm

Both ATi and nVidia GPU based cards will run all current games.. including ATi GPUs running Wolf. However, since Wolf was originally optimized for OpenGL when it was built on an engine designed to take advantage of OpenGL (called the Quake III code engine), Wolf will run smoother/faster on nVidia GPUs. It plays just fine on ATi cards as well I would imagine. Since Wolf is an "old" game.. all of the newer based ATi cards should be able to cut right through the Wolf code without breaking a sweat. If it's a new game designed to push your whole computer (not to mention whatever graphics card you have installed) to it's limits.. then you might notice differences between ATi and nVidia rendering the game. Only way to be sure is to have to identical systems or visit one of your firends with a similar setup and the opposite video card.

If any of the above makes sense... newer games might run differently on video cards that they are not optimized to run on.. since most new games push your system for the intense graphics and stuff. The end result is that I would look for what you feel comfortable buying. I still think it's about the options you get and the price you pay to get them. Yeah.. sure I can go out and dump $500-$1000 on something better than ATi or nVidia tomorrow.. but the only thing I've done is paid for bragging rights. I might get to brag for six months if I'm lucky.. the moral is I've wasted money.
{Ru}EINHANDER
Recon Unit Dictator
Recon Unit Dictator

Next

Return to The Circuit Board