Front Bus Speed (FBS)

Discuss your new PC/MAC hardware/sofware. Ask questions about what is hot and what is not. Suggestions and new product announcements that deal with most any new/old PC/MAC hardware or software.

Front Bus Speed (FBS)

Postby Guest on Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:02 am

man oh man,,, I feel like a toad. Ive been running this new machine at the default FBS which is 100. Now its set where it should be with the way i have my machine configured at a nice 800 FBS. I havent played any games online yet but my benchmark jumped another 400 points, I`d have to say switching that FBS has hade quite a change so far

Postby FAST Enterprise [Crawler] on Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:49 pm

Your FSB is 400. (Simulated 800). Clock speed is 400MHz. However, certain companies have figured out how to send data on the front side of the clock cycle, and on the back side of the clock cycle. So, even though your clock speed is 400MHz, you are sending data on both sides of the real-time clock cycle, simulating 800MHz. Works the same way they tell you that you're buying PC3200 Memory. A 200 MHz clock speed, sending data on both up-and-down cycle, simulates 400 Mhz. So, 400MHz X 8bits = 3200. It's a marketing ploy. The memory is still 200MHz. That's the lesson for today......you owe me a beer. If you pay up quickly, I'll let you sit in the hot-tub with me and MEDIC, while Ranger brings us snacks. :dance:
FAST Enterprise [Crawler]
Forum Sergeant First Class
Forum Sergeant First Class

Postby FAST WebCrawler [Crawler] on Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:43 pm

I'll smack u upside the head u try anything funny while in the tub with The Medic. :chain:
FAST WebCrawler [Crawler]
Forum Sergeant
Forum Sergeant

Postby Guest on Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:39 pm

+HEADSHOT+ wrote:Your FSB is 400. (Simulated 800). Clock speed is 400MHz. However, certain companies have figured out how to send data on the front side of the clock cycle, and on the back side of the clock cycle. So, even though your clock speed is 400MHz, you are sending data on both sides of the real-time clock cycle, simulating 800MHz. Works the same way they tell you that you're buying PC3200 Memory. A 200 MHz clock speed, sending data on both up-and-down cycle, simulates 400 Mhz. So, 400MHz X 8bits = 3200. It's a marketing ploy. The memory is still 200MHz. That's the lesson for today......you owe me a beer. If you pay up quickly, I'll let you sit in the hot-tub with me and MEDIC, while Ranger brings us snacks. :dance:

YEAAAAAP
but going from 100 - (200) to 400 (800) was quite a jump, and yes I have DDR3200 ( 400 mHz ) RAM. I`m about to jump on the each

Return to The Circuit Board